Wednesday, April 4, 2012

three years later...



What a recovery! David now thinks he is invincible and has taken up the sport of running. Running is something David never thought he would be able to do since his top vertebrae was trimmed to allow the cerebellum extra space, but after watching his family team run the Wasatch Back Ragnar relay in 2011, he decided it looked fun enough he had to try.

David began running in July of 2011 and after a few months learned it was something he enjoyed! He ran the Rockwell mud run as his very first race and then quickly signed the family up for the Las Vegas Ragnar relay. We had a great mix of family with our kids and his brothers and sisters. Who knew running could be so fun!

David's goal of running a half marathon was realized in March of 2012 when he ran the Canyonlands half marathon with his sister and her husband. His next big race is in April when he tackles the Salt Lake City Marathon.

When you ask David why he likes to run so much, his answer is simply, "Because I can." He is grateful every day that the doctors took such good care of him and that he is still able to do hard things...even things he never dreamed he could do!

5 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for blogging all this. My 8-year-old son will be having the identical surgery as David's on Tuesday. His surgeon is making it sound like recovery is going to be no big deal, but from stories like yours, I am trying to prepare myself realistically. I know it takes time to post, but it really is such a blessing for people like myself. Thanks again.

    Alyson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alyson,
      I am glad your surgeon is optimistic and I truly wish you and your son the best in his recovery! It seems the younger we are, the quicker we bounce back so I sincerely hope he is right.
      It is tough and heart-wrenching to see a loved one in pain, but the future is so much brighter now because of the surgery.
      Best of luck, our prayers are with you!
      Moana

      Delete
  2. I also posted on another on forgot my name. Shawna. I got sick this year with rhabdo. I was in gilbert . My goal was to do these same races. Unfortunately we had to move back to Iowa as this is where our family is for healing and help with the kids. Glad you can run. Makes me look forward to a normal life. Just takes me a bit longer to get from point a to point b than most!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We would love updates after your surgery! Our prayers are with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your all tips.All are informative.And i also share your tips with my friends.We get knowledge from your tips.Thanks for sharing....Excellent!!!
    Tommy John surgerycomplications

    ReplyDelete